FISH-NL’s warnings of rising unrest play out, crab harvesters hold protest fishery off Port au Choix
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—Monday, May 8th, 2017
Predictions by the Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL) of rising unrest in the province’s fishing industry are playing out as inshore fishermen launched a protest crab fishery this morning off Port au Choix on the Great Northern Peninsula.Read more
FISH-NL challenges federal Fisheries Minister to meet with harvesters his government is starving out
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 5th, 2017
The Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL) says the federal Minister of Fisheries and Oceans appears oblivious to the hardship facing inshore harvesters this year as the result of punishing quota cuts and severe industry downturn.Read more
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—May 3rd, 2017
The Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL) warns of rising unrest in the fishing industry if Ottawa doesn’t follow through on commitments to inshore fish harvesters.
“So far the Trudeau administration has paid lip service to unrest in the Newfoundland and Labrador fishery,” said Ryan Cleary, President of FISH-NL. “That won’t cut it anymore because harvesters are at the end of their rope.”Read more
The Groundfish Enterprise Allocation Council — the association representing offshore groundfish fishing enterprises in Atlantic Canada — has proposed Ottawa set aside 500 tonnes of northern cod this year for the offshore fleet.
That's despite the fact the Government of Canada has pledged the first 115,000 tonnes of northern cod (once the stock rebounds to that level) for the exclusive jurisdiction of the inshore sector.Read more
During Captain Richard Gillett's recent hunger strike he asked DFO for a copy of the FFAW's northern cod stewardship fishery proposal — and he got it. The 5-page proposal is attached.
It's not technically the FFAW's management plan proposal, but a plan put forward by the Newfoundland and Labrador Groundfish Industry Development Council, which is comprised of the FFAW and 10 NL processing companies.Read more
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—Thursday, April 27th, 2017
The Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL) is demanding the resignation of Mary Shortall, president of the province’s Federation of Labour, for taking sides in the dispute between FISH-NL and the FFAW, as well as blatant conflict of interest.Read more
On Tuesday, April 11, FISH-NL made a presentation to the province’s federal Liberal caucus in Ottawa, including recommendations on how to deal with the current fisheries crisis.
The presentation was made by Ryan Cleary, President of FISH-NL, and Richard Gillett, Vice-President. Included is a recommendation that commercial inshore harvesters be permitted to keep ALL bycatch caught with hook and line and gillnets, and another that DFO allow flexibility in this year harvesting rules, including allowing harvesters to buddy up.Read more
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—Friday, April 14th, 2017
Richard Gillett, an inshore fish harvester from Twillingate and Vice-President of the Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL), began a hunger strike Thursday afternoon on the grounds of DFO’s NL headquarters in St. John’s.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 7, 2017
The Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL) describes the protest Friday at the headquarters of the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans as a warning of rising unrest within the fishing industry.Read more
As President of the Federation of Independent Sea Harvesters of Newfoundland and Labrador (FISH-NL), I and FISH-NL apologize to the FFAW for referring to them as the salt-water mafia.